Slow-Cooker Ham with Turnips
Serves: 4 servings
Crockpots are such a wonderful tool every cook should have! This recipe is designed to serve four - if you have a family bigger than that or want leftovers, we'd suggest two crockpots going simultaneously to ensure even cooking.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced (with skin)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 8 large sprigs parsley
- 1 tbsp pickling spice
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 4-5 lb smoked picnic ham (pork shoulder)
- 1 lb medium turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (reserving the greens)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Put the apples, garlic, thyme, parsley, pickling spice and brown sugar in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the ham and surround it with the turnips. Pour in the wine and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low, 7 hours.
- Remove the ham from the slow cooker. Add the greens to the cooker and stir to combine with the liquid. Return the ham to the cooker, cover and cook on high 30 minutes.
- Slice the ham and serve with the turnips, apples and greens.