Buttered Turnip Puree
Serves: 4 servings
Mashed potatoes - except with turnips!
- 3 large turnips, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
- 1 quart milk
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and gently smashed with the side of a knife
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the turnips, milk, thyme and garlic in a medium saucepan. Set over medium heat and partially cover the pan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the turnips are tender-the tip of a paring knife should go through without resistance (approx. 20-30 minutes).
- Drain the turnips, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer to a food processor (discard the thyme sprigs).
- Add about 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the butter, season with plenty of salt and pepper and puree until smooth. Add more of the liquid, if necessary. Serve hot