Peach and Mango Curry Stew
Serves: 4 servings
This recipe is borrowed from the Farmers Against Hunger cookbook. All curry powder is is a spice mixture. The sweetness of fruit balances out any spiciness in the dish. Serve over rice.
- 2 tbsp of any oil (EXCEPT extra-virgin)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro or pistachios for toppings
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and ginger and a little salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until they become soft (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the curry powder and stir together for another 30 seconds.
- Add the fruit, tomatoes and coconut milk to the pan and stir together. Raise the heat so that the mixture gently bubbles.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit has softened and the mixture has thickened (approx. 5-10 minutes). Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Sprinkle the cilantro and/or nuts and serve.