Coconut Peach Crisp
Serves: 6-8 servings
This recipe is borrowed from the Farmers Against Hunger cookbook. This is a fairly simple way to dress up fresh fruit for a tasty dessert (apple, peaches, raspberries etc.) You simply put together the crumbly topping and then bake that on top of the peeled, chopped fruit. The white sugar helps turn the fruit slightly saucy. Try serving with vanilla ice cream!
- ½ stick butter (4 tbsp), softened at room temperature
- 2 tbsp any oil (NOT extra virgin)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 lbs fruit, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place oven rack to lower-middle position.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the 4 tbsp softened butter, oil and brown sugar with an electric mixer (or fork) until well combined (approx. 1 minute).
- Stir in the coconut, cinnamon, flour, oats and salt and combine until crumbs are formed.
- Toss the fruit you are using with the white sugar, lemon juice and zest in an 8 or 9" baking pan. Evenly place the topping over the surface of the fruit. Bake until the topping has turned golden brown and bubbly (approx. 30-40 minutes).
- Cool before serving.