Tomato Gazpacho Soup
Serves: 8-10 servings
This recipe is borrowed from the Farmers Against Hunger cookbook. This is the classic, chilled, all veggie soup that requires zero cooking! You just need to chop the vegetables and be patient as it rests in the refrigerator for a few hours, allowing all the flavors to mix together!
- 3 medium, ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into small ¼" pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into small ¼" pieces
- 2 small cucumbers, one peeled and one with skin left on, cut into small ¼" pieces
- ½ small sweet onion, such as vidalia, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar (or a little less red wine vinegar)
- 5 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 8 ice cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl or pot, mix the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onion, garlic, 2 tsp salt, vinegar, and black pepper to taste. Let sit for 5 minutes until the veggies begin to release their juices (approx. 5 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato juice, hot pepper sauce (if you'd like) and the ice cubes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to mix all flavors together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove any un-melted ice cubes and serve cold.