Fresh Homemade Tomato Soup
Serves: 4-6 servings
Many of us grew up dipping grilled cheese sandwiches into tomato soup and we still love it to this day! Here's a recipe using ripe tomatoes and herbs to make a soup much tastier and fresher than your average canned version.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cups cored, peeled and seeded ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2-3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock (low-sodium, if possible)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Add the oil to a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Once it's hot, add the tomato paste and allow it to cook for a minute.
- Add the onion and carrot, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions soften (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and herbs to the pot and cook, stirring occassionally, until the tomatoes break down (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- Stir in the stock and allow it to come to a simmer, cook for about 5 minutes while it is gently bubbling (adjust heat if necessary).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. If it's very tart, add sugar to balance it out.