Ratatouille with Eggplant and Zucchini
Serves: 8 servings
Did you think Ratatouille was only a movie? Great, easy dish AND you can get most of the prime ingredients at the farm market!
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large eggplants, peeled in strips and cut into ¾" cubes
- 4-5 medium zucchini cut into 1" cubes
- 3 yellow or red bell peppers, seeds removed, cut into ¾" cubes
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- In a 5 quart pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until soft (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add garlic; cook until fragrant (approx. 1 minute).
- Stir in eggplant and zucchini; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add ¾ cup water; cover, and simmer until vegetables are beginning to soften, stirring once (approx. 5 minutes).
- Stir in bell peppers; simmer, covered, until softened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover; simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are tender (approx. 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat. If serving immediately, stir in basil.