Serves: 4 servings
Our family loves holidays - aside from getting the chance to spend quality time with each other, we know that the holidays mean Grandma is making beets! Even the non-vegetable lovers get a scoop or two of these to complete their holiday spread.
- 2-3 large beets
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Remove green tops & root bottom from beets. Scrub the beets free of any dirt.
- Place the beets in a medium saucepan and cover with water by about an inch. Bring to a boil on high heat then lower the heat and maintain a simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets, until they are easily pierced with the tines of a fork.
- Drain the beets and rinse them in cold water. Use your fingers to slip the peels off of the beets. The peels should come off easily. Discard the peels.
- Quarter or slice the beets.
- Chop ½ yellow onion into 1 - 2" pieces and add to beets.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining the cider vinegar, sugar and olive oil. Whisk ingredients together with a fork.
- Adjust to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine beets and vinaigrette in a bowl and allow to marinate for a half hour at room temperature.