Mashed Potatoes with Peas and Scallions
Serves: 8 servings
Don't worry about the late introduction of the peas during cooking - since they're fresh they won't take any time at all to cook and the heat from the potatoes will be plenty to cook them through and make sure they're tender when it's time to eat.
- 2½ pounds red new potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
- 10 oz. fresh peas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 tsp salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender (approx. 20-25 minutes).
- Add the peas, cook for 30 seconds more, then drain and return the potatoes and peas to the pot.
- Add the sour cream, butter, 1 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency. Fold in the scallions.