Green Bean Casserole
Serves: 10-12 servings
A great recipe for someone on the fence when it comes to vegetables - the bread crumb topping and heavy cream make it tasty and savory while you still get a good fill of greens.
- 4 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (6 oz) container canned fried onions
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 lb green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb white mushrooms, ½" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- Pulse bread, softened butter, salt and pepper in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, (approx. 10 seconds). Transfer to a large bowl and toss with onions; set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 tbsp salt and the beans. Cook beans until bright green and crisp-tender (approx. 6 minutes).
- Drain beans in colander and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking. Spread beans on paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Add butter to now-empty pot and melt over medium-high heat until foaming subsides.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, ¾ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp pepper; cook until mushrooms release moisture and liquid evaporates (approx. 6 minutes).
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3½ cups (approx. 12 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir until evenly coated.
- Arrange in an even layer in 9X13" baking dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edge (approx. 15 minutes). Serve immediately.