Eggplant Parmesan Bites
Serves: 6 servings
A similar concept to our eggplant croquette recipe, these eggplant Parmesan bites are a great pre-dinner snack.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Peel the eggplants and dice them into 1" cubes. Place the cubes in a large colander and toss them with 1½ tsp salt.
- Let them drain in the colander over a bowl in the sink for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Combine the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs with 2 tablespoons water.
- Place the flour in a third bowl.
- Bread the eggplant cubes in batches by coating them in the flour, then the eggs and then the cheesy breadcrumbs.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Add 3" of oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat.
- Once the oil reaches about 360 degrees, add the breaded eggplant in batches, cooking them until they're golden brown on all sides.
- Using a slotting spoon, transfer the eggplant to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and immediately season them with salt.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining eggplant, returning the oil to 360 degrees between each batch.
- Serve the eggplant bites with marinara sauce for dipping.