Flaky Blackberry Turnovers
Serves: 14 servings
The crust of these turnovers is buttery with a slight hint of buttery. It's flaky and decadent.
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 cup all-purpose pastry flou
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1½ cups cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp room temperature butter
- 3 cups blackberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Stir sour cream and sugar together. Set aside
- Mix together flour, and salt. Cut cold butter into into the flour mixture, until mixture resembles course meal. Using a fork gently toss sour cream in with flour mixture. Dough will be very soft.
- Divide dough into two. Shape into a rectangle using plastic wrap and cover. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour.
- Remove one piece of dough from the refrigerator and roll into a 9" x 18" rectangle between plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Spread with room temperature butter and fold dough in thirds like a business letter. Repeat folding dough in thirds in opposite direction to end with a square.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Mix blackberries, sugar and flour. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheets with silpat or parchment paper.
- Roll each piece of dough to ⅛" thick. Cut out 4½" rounds.
- You can gather scraps, chill and re-roll dough to make additional turnovers. Each piece of dough will yield about 7 or 8 turnovers.
- Transfer each round to baking sheet and fill with 2 tbsp blackberries.
- Moisten edge of dough with a little water on your finger and fold turnovers in half, using a fork to crimp the edge of dough. Poke 4 steam holes using a fork in the center of each turnover.
- Sprinkle each turnover with a pinch of sugar.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Rotating baking sheets 10 minutes into baking, bake until turnovers are puffed, firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Remove to a cooling rack.