Classic Onion Soup
Serves: 6 servings
Definitely a dish for colder days - feel free to safely melt some cheese on top and add a large slice of French bread on the side.
- 4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 6 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 quarts reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup brandy (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan that holds at least 4 quarts.
- Add onions; cook over medium heat until tender and golden (approx. 12 minutes). Stir often.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes.
- If desired, add brandy; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.