Serves: 6-8 servings
Turnips have a slightly bitter taste to them, so cooking the onions in this recipe will be the key to getting more of a sweet taste out of the dish! The bigger a turnip is, the more bitter it tastes so aim to choose ones from the market that are about the size of a tennis ball.
- 2 lbs turnips with purple tops, cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss together the turnips, butter, thyme sprigs, shallots, olive oil and some salt and pepper in a 13x9" baking dish.
- Roast until the turnips begin to soften (approx. 30 minutes).
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.