Blackberry Pie Bars
Serves: 12 servings
These pie bars allow you to forego the frustrating "pie steps" of rolling and shaping the crust but offer the same yummy pie taste!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1" slices
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13" pan.
- In a food processor, blend together flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Add the butter, egg and vanilla extract. Pulse until dough is crumbly.
- Pat half of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, saving the remaining dough for the topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blackberries. Sprinkle the blackberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is slightly brown (approx. 45 minutes - you are only looking for the top to slightly brown, if you cook for too long - the bottom will burn).
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.