Bacon Onion Collard Greens
Serves: 4 servings
The flavors in this dish are amazingly simple but rich - bacon and onions. Adding red pepper gives it that additional kick that'll make you wonder how many times a week you can make collard greens with dinner!
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan.
- Add onion, and cook until tender (approx. 5 minutes). Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant.
- Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
- Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.