Cornbread with Fresh Corn
Serves: 9 servings
You no longer have to wait to go out to eat in order to get cornbread with fresh corn in it. Try this easy-to-make recipe with the next batch of sweet corn you pick up from the market.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar (optional if you prefer unsweetened cornbread)
- 1 cup sweet corn, cut off the cob
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thoroughly grease a baking dish (we recommend a 9" round pan).
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the half and half, eggs, butter and sugar.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until the flour is moistened - no more than 10-15 seconds. Fold in the corn, but don't over mix the batter or your cornbread will be too tough.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cornbread immediately.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean and the edge of the cornbread starts to separate from the pan (approx. 25-30 minutes).