Corn and Black Bean Salad
Serves: 6 servings
This recipe is borrowed from the Farmers Against Hunger cookbook. This can be served as just a small salad or put it in a wrap or pita with your favorite protein and make a sandwich out of it! One tip for getting the kernels off the cob easier after shucking is to break the cob in half and then run a sharp knife down the sides, scraping off the kernels onto a cutting board.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced scallions
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 5 ears corn, shucked, scraped of kernels (approx. 3 cups)
- ½ head romaine lettuce
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and chopped into cubes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- While it's heating up, combine jalapenos, scallions, garlic and tomatoes to make the salsa. Stir in the lemon juice, cilantro and salt to taste. Let the flavors mix about 30 minutes before using.
- Add the corn to the boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and let the corn cool.
- Combine romaine, corn, beans and avocados. Add a generous helping of salsa to the top.