Cabbage & Kielbasa Pasta
Serves: 6-8 servings
This meal isn't only enticing because it's simple and delicious, but it also only requires cleaning two dishes after cooking!
- 8 oz dried wide egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced
- 12 oz fully cooked smoked sausage (i.e. kielbasa), cut into ½-inch rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium cabbage, cored, quartered, and shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the noodles and cook for 2 minutes less than the minimum time stated on the package.
- Stir in the peas and cook until al dente (approx. 2 minutes more)
- Drain well, then return the noodles and peas to the warm pot and stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter. Cover to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned (approx. 5 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the kielbasa to the medium pot and recover.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the now-empty large pot.
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper, and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the cabbage in batches, stirring until each batch is starting to wilt before adding more. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender (approx. 10 minutes)
- Stir in the drained noodles, peas and kielbasa mixture.