We’re growing! Although Spring is finally here according to the calendar, you’d never know it. But it’s spring at the farm and it has been for weeks- in the greenhouse! The greenhouses provide a much needed temporary solution to the farmers case of Spring Fever. It does a soul good to seed & watch for sprouts, to water and see daily, green growth, and to nurture and feel the hope and promise of a new season. The farmers need that NOW, as that is the motivation they’ll use to face Mother Nature and help them to begin our 2018 growing season.
Currently growing in the greenhouse are seedlings that will be transplanted into the fields when the weather finally breaks … mostly our early season CSA crops, including lettuces, cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, and other similar crops that enjoy and thrive in cool, early spring weather. Growing these crops in the greenhouse gives them a ‘head-start’ to the season. They’ll be a few inches tall and pretty well established by the time the farmers can get into the fields to plant – which is still weeks away!
Oh, we’ve got some summer crop seedlings growing in the greenhouse now too – tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and such. And many of our bedding plant seedlings and hanging baskets were potted and planted last week too. They’ll all be ready for our May 1 opening day…but for now, we’re focused on the hopes and promises of the new season and those early, cool season crops. Spring is right around the corner, and the tilling and planting will soon begin. Our fingers are crossed that Mother Nature will be kind this Spring and that the challenges will be few. For now, we’ll keep growing in the greenhouse & dreaming about those warm, sunny days ahead!
Happy Valentines Day! If you LOVE the thought of eating fresh, eating healthy, & eating local, you’re going to LOVE our CSA Program! We’re more than ready for the promise of warmer weather and delicious, homegrown vegetables, and most likely you are too. It’s with great anticipation and excitement that we offer our 2018 Weekly Veggie Basket & CSA Program at both our South Brunswick AND Washington Twp. locations!
AND, because we LOVE our dedicated customers, we have a special Coupon Code that will allow you to sign up now at our lowest price of the year … our Tier 1 pricing.
We welcome you to join us for the 2018 CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) season –
Use Coupon Code ‘LOVE18’ and Sign up NOW for your Weekly Veggie Basket, Homegrown Angus Beef, Jersey Fresh Fruit, and/or Farm Fresh Eggs, and you’ll be committed to eating fresh, eating healthy, & eating local throughout the Jersey Fresh season! (Our $20 saving coupon code is valid through February 16th only)
Got questions? Check out the details for the South Brunswick CSA program as well as our Washington Twp. CSA program. For your convenience, we currently have CSA pick up at the farms in Washington Twp (Warren Co.) and South Brunswick (Middlesex Co), as well as in Milltown, Highland Park, East Brunswick, North Brunswick, Rutgers University (Student Center on George Street), and Retro Fitness on Route 27 in Kingston/Princeton. We also deliver to a few corporate host sites.
Where’s the beef?? Well … it’s right here, at VonThun Farms! Our very own grass fed, pasture raised, all natural, hormone & antibiotic free, healthy, homegrown Aberdeen Angus beef. VonThun’s homegrown beef is now available a la carte, (view our current beef availability ) and as a Beef CSA Share.
We hope you’ll put your faith in us and make us at VonThun Farms YOUR farmers this season. Where’s the beef? We hope that our beef will soon find it’s way from our pasture to your plate!
Although red meat has gotten a bad reputation for many years, it’s recently been making a big comeback. High quality beef is superior to many other protein sources, as calorie for calorie, it is one of the most nutrient-rich foods. And did you know that grass-fed beef is much healthier and better for you than store bought beef?! Grass fed beef is much leaner than conventional beef. It’s also higher in key nutrients, including antioxidants, vitamins, and a beneficial fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) that’s been tied to improved immunity and anti-inflammation benefits. In addition, grass-fed beef has about 50% more omega-3 fatty acids than standard beef , which adds to its overall nutritional benefits…
- Our beef is high quality Angus. Through our Aberdeen Angus breeding program we strive for consistency & superior carcass traits in our animals which in turn ensures well marbled, tender meat.
- Our beef is grass fed & pasture-raised. We do not confine our steers or finish them with corn. Our cows & steers spend their lifetime rotationally grazing our lush grass pastures the way they nature intended. Throughout the winter our cattle receive supplemental homegrown hay as they continue to browse and roam the pastures.
- Our animals are treated humanely in a low stress environment and are genuinely happy animals.
- Our beef is all natural. We do not use antibiotics or hormones for growth in our animals.
- Our animals are raised in a sustainable environment. All the nutrients from the manure are left to be recycled back into the soil, as our cattle fertilize the pastures as they graze.
- Our beef is fresh. Our animals are brought directly from the farm to the butcher, who dry ages the meat. While at the butcher, our beef carcasses are hung to dry-age & achieve the best flavor and tenderness.