Pasta with Broccoli, Roasted Peppers and Sausage
Serves: 4-6 servings
This recipe is borrowed from the Farmers Against Hunger cookbook. Try to use small pasta with a shape that will "catch" all the chunky pieces of sausage and the vegetables. This is a very fresh-tasting dish without the heaviness of a marinara or creamy cheese sauce.
- 1 lb of small, shaped pasta
- 4 oz sweet Italian sausage, with the casing removed
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 large head of broccoli with florets and stems cut into small, bite-size pieces
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook according to instructions on the package. Drain and return the pasta to the dry pot.
- As the pasta cooks, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned (approx. 5 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and red peppers, ½ tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook for approx. 2 minutes while stirring, covered.
- Turn heat to high, add the water and broccoli to the skillet and cook until broccoli looks bright green (approx. 1-2 minutes).
- Uncover the skillet. Cook for additional 3-5 minutes more.
- Once the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender, dump the mixture into the pot with the pasta and add cheese and the oil. Toss together and serve.