Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
Author: Natalie R. - VonThun Farms CSA Member
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 8-10 servings
Instead of the traditional buttery, heavy sauce, we turned to an unlikely hero for a healthy boost: butternut squash!
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- 2½ cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place butternut squash chunks on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the squash and toss.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain well and set aside.
- Add butternut squash to food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Add in ½ cup of the milk and puree again-this will help thin out the butternut squash.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter.
- When the butter is melted whisk in the flour.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, whisking constantly, or until flour mixture smells nutty.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of milk and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil while continuing to whisk.
- After sauce has thickened, turn heat to low and whisk in butternut squash mixture.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the pan and stir until the macaroni noodles are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of the macaroni noodles into the pan.
- Sprinkle half of the aged cheddar and sharp cheddar over the macaroni noodles.
- Add the remaining noodles and then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until macaroni and cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.