Braised Mustard Greens with Bacon
Serves: 4 servings
The salty pancetta (which can be replaced with bacon according to your taste buds) mixed with the peppery bite of mustard greens is something really special. Try serving your favorite protein over the mustard greens.
- 2 oz. bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bunches mustard greens, about 3 lb. total, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- In a fry pan over medium-high heat, saute the bacon until it is lightly browned and crisp (approx. 4-5 minutes). Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Pour out all but 1 tbsp of the fat from the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the butter. When it has melted, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (approx. 1 minute).
- Add the mustard greens and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens begin to wilt (approx. 3-4 minutes).
- Add the broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender but still bright green and the liquid reduces to a glaze (approx. 8-10 minutes).
- Transfer the greens to a warmed serving dish. Top with the crisp bacon and serve immediately.