Blackberries are traditionally available mid-July through mid-August. Our plump, juicy blackberries are usually available for both We-Pick (already picked for you and available in our farm market) and U-Pick! Watch for our Social Media postings for the start to our Jersey Fresh Blackberry season.
U-Pick Blackberries…Our 2016 price will be determined by the current market price at the time our blackberries are available for picking.
Picking Passes… (for admission into the blackberry field)…Available in the farm market for $5 per person. Each picking pass includes a $5 credit good towards the purchase of your pick-your-own blackberries.
- Select plump, firm, fully black berries. The small berries are often most flavorful. Only solid black berries are completely ripe. Partially white or red berries are not ripe and they will not ripen once picked.
- Blackberry measurements: 1 pint = 1-1/2 cups. 1 quart = 2 pints = 3 cups.
- One cup of blackberries contains only 62 calories.
- It takes 10 to 15 minutes to pick a quart, if the berries are reasonably plentiful
- Plan and be careful not to over-purchase as blackberries quickly mold when left at room temperature, and only last a couple of days in the refrigerator.
- You can easily FREEZE BERRIES that you can not use right away – just wash and put into a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible. Frozen berries will keep for a few months.