Help Us Name Our New Donkey!
Enter the contest now via our farm Facebook page.
The winning class or individual will receive their choice of:
- A free farm tour of our farm in Washington Twp. for your class (this year or next)
- A visit from the donkey for your class at school & a short presentation about donkeys
- A visit from our staff (no donkey) & a presentation about local agriculture
This spring we are adding a Barnyard area near our farm market in Washington … and every Barnyard needs a donkey, right?! We adopted a cute little brown donkey from the Last Chance Ranch animal rescue in Quakertown, PA. Although he came with the name Wilfred, we feel he’s way TOO CUTE for that name. We’re on a quest to find him a cuter, more appropriate name, and thought what better way to name him than with the help of our local school kids!
Wilfred’s story is a sad one according to the rescue folks at Last Chance Ranch. Poor Wilfred started his life living with an Amish family in Pennsylvania. When they no longer wanted him, he was taken to an auction, his fate unknown. Some nice folks found the donkey scared & alone in a back corner of the auction barn, bought him, and brought him to the rescue. Ranch volunteers worked with the thin, fearful donkey for months to make him happy & build his confidence. Today, our chubby little donkey is pleasant as can be & loves attention!
Maybe his new name could be a name that …
- tells about how he looks?
- shows what a little trooper he’s been?
- relates to his new home in Washington?
- is a typical/common donkey name?
- relates to his personality?
- is just a fun name?
We sure hope you & your class will help us choose a name … we open for the season on May 24, and he needs a name for opening day!
- your choice of names for the donkey
- why your class chose that name
- what school you’re submitting the contest entry for
- what teacher’s class you’re submitting the entry for
For more chances to win, share this contest with your students & their parents. The more donkey name suggestions there are for your class, the more chances your class has to win!
Should more than one person suggest the name that we choose for the donkey, we will put the names of those individuals in a hat and choose one Grand Prize winner. That Grand Prize winner will have their choice of prizes listed above. The runners up that suggested the chosen name will each receive a $10 VonThun Farms gift card & a stuffed donkey from Douglas Toys.
We can’t wait to give our little boy a new name … thanks for taking part in our contest.